10 Health Benefits Of Eating Omena (Silver Cyprinid)
One of the most nutritious foods in Kenya is Silver cyprinid, which is popularly known as Omena.
In East Africa, Omena is widely known as a delicious and healthy food with numerous nutrients.
Here are some of the nutrients that Omena has; Calories (kcal) 210, Fat 10 g, Saturated fat 2.2 g, Polyunsaturated fats 2.6 g, Monounsaturated fats 3.8 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Sodium 3.668 mg, Potassium 544 mg, Total Carbohydrate 0 g, Food fiber 0 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 29 g, Vitamin A 40 IU, Vitamin C 0 mg, Vitamin D 69 IU, Vitamin B6 0.2 mg, Vitamin B12 0.9 μg, Calcium 232 mg, Iron 4.6 mg and Magnesium 69 mg etc.
Benefits Of Omena:
- Eating Omena regularly will significantly improve the functionality of your brain as it contains a huge amount of vital phosphorus and protein that boosts the working of the brain by stimulating brain nerves to ensure optimal functioning.
- Omena is important for growing children especially the ones under the age of 10 as it helps boost the child’s intelligence.
- Another benefit of Omena is the fact that Silver cyprinid is very rich in vitamin B12. This is good for your health as it is necessary for producing red blood cells and regulating the health of the central nervous system.
- Omena is rich in potassium which is a principal nutrient involved in regulation of heartbeat, proper functioning of the muscles and nerves.
- Eating Omena will help your body greatly in fighting various diseases. Omena is full of calcium and Vitamin D which helps in not only maintaining strong bones in the body and your heart muscles but also aids in protecting against cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- Eating Omena boosts growth and development as it is a great source of iron. Iron is a mineral that’s needed in generating hemoglobin that transports oxygen to the tissues.
- Silver cyprinid AKA Omena contains omega-3 and selenium, essential minerals for preventing acne and delaying skin wrinkling.
- Omena also has Vitamin E, which helps in vision, reproduction, and the health of your blood, brain, and skin.
- Adding Omena in your diet is good for your heart as it contains polyunsaturated fats, which reduce the rates of cholesterol that may expose one to severe heart attacks and stroke. These fatty acids are also important in elevating nerve function and muscle coordination.
- Eating Omena regularly is also important for pregnant women or new mothers.