Senators Salary Scale: Salaries and Allowances for Senators In Kenya 2023
How much are Kenyan Senators paid?.
Here is the salary scale for Kenyan senators, the monthly salary for a Senator in Kenya and their allowance.
Kenyan Senators are paid a reasonable amount of money very month, not mentioning the huge amount of money they make as their allowances.
A Kenyan who wants to become a Senator in their respective counties are supposed to meet certain requirements or qualifications before they can be elected as Senators.
Kenyan Senators roles include, representation, legislation, and oversight of the county. They represent the Kenyans (people) in their counties and make laws that primarily concern counties.
They also supervise the county governments’ expenditure of national revenue that parliament allocates to them.
Below are the qualifications for the position of a senator in the country.
Qualifications Of A Senator In Kenya:
To qualify as a potential candidate for the position of the senator in Kenya, you must reach the following thresholds:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
(no maximum age requirement)
- Must be a Kenyan citizen for at least 10 years before the election
- Not hold dual citizenship (unless, according to IEBC, the citizenship of the other country has been obtained by operation of law without the capacity to opt-out);
- Not owe allegiance to a foreign state
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt
- Not be a person of unsound mind
- Not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections
- Not have been found to have abused or misused state or public office or contravened Chapter Six of the Constitution
- Not have been dismissed or removed from public office for contravening the provisions of Articles 75, 76, 77 and 78 of the Constitution
- Holder of a university degree from recognised institution in Kenya
- Be a registered voter
- Be nominated by a Political Party or is an independent candidate
- Meet the statutory moral and ethical requirements under the Leadership and Integrity Act
- Not be a public officer or acting in any State of public office other than a Member of Parliament
For Kenyan Senators, unlike the President position, there are no age limits, for as long as you are over the age of 18 years, you can get elected as a Senator.
How much do the Senators of each county in kenya make per month.
Senators Salary In Kenya:
In general, a Senator in Kenya makes around Ksh. 510,000 per month as their basic salary.
A half a million is not the only amount of money Kenyan Senators make monthly.
Senator’s monthly allowances can go as high as 250,000 Kenyan Shillings per month.
This means that the salary for Kenyan Senators is currently Ksh. 760,000 per month.
The Senators average salary above is with respect to Salaries and Remuneration Commission ( SRC).